Which other games do you like?

Everything that doesn't fit into the other forums. Discuss it at Café Rockford. Beer is for free!

Moderator: Admin

Arno
Site Admin

Which other games do you like?

Post by Arno »

I think it's interesting to see what other games (if any) are played by the BD fans!

Let me start myself. I have played many games on my real C64 (besides BD). Especially the platformer shoot 'em up games like Who Dares Wins and Ikari Warriors attracted me much.

Two games that are less known, but havily belong to my favorites are:
- Sensitive (very hard puzzles, but no editor :( )
- Breaker (the best Arkanoid clone, imho...)

Besides these C64 games I also use MAME (Arcade emulator) quite often. (For some games, like Ghosts 'n Goblins I think the Arcade version is simply better than the C64 conversion.)

And there is one pc racing game that I'm playing regularly, which is Re-volt.
Last edited by Arno on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

As noted in my profile, I'm a big fan of city building simulation games.

My two favorites are Caesar III and Pharaoh. (Great sites, considering that the originals have vanished)

I also enjoy the arcade/RPG/action game Pac-Man World 3 :).
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
CWS

Post by CWS »

I like Impossible Mission very much. There is a new version for PSP which is really nice!

Also great: Q*bert (the 2005 remake from Sony Entertainment is one of the best clone I've ever seen), H.E.R.O., Nebulus, Zaxxon.

Newer games: Gradius 1 - 5, Ultimate Ghosts'n'Goblins, Mercury, Forza Motorsport 2, Dead Rising.

But I have to say that most new games on new consoles or computers are not as good as the good old C64 games. I like to play Boulder Dash the most... :)
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

I like platform games and maze games. That's why I love Boulderdash so much - it's almost a cross between a platform game (what with the gravity and the various walls and floors) and a maze game (the player is not bound by gravity).

In my youth I enjoyed the Monty Mole series of games. I like the original Monty Mole on the Spectrum (the one where you start off going down and down the mine shaft), and all 3 C64 versions (MM, MOTR, AWM).

These days my favourite platform game is Jet Set Willy for the Spectrum, because it has good tools for modding available, and much as Boulderdash has Crazy Light, JSW has a souped up engine called JSW64 which allows you to use more types of platforms and obstacles/walls etc in the rooms and has a bunch of extra features. It's pretty much the ideal "8-bit style platform game creation system" if anyone's interested in that :)

Outside of emulation by far my favourite game is N by metanet software.

http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/n.html

DON'T BE PUT OFF BY THE LOOKS. This game is very much in the oldskool tradition. It's a single screen platformer with really realistic physics. It's minimal in it's approach but plays like a platformer's dream. It is very difficult like the old platformers, requiring lots of practice to get to each new screen. It's very action-oriented but also can have a huge puzzle element, depending on level design.

It also has a level editor (which combined with the dreamy gameplay is what attracts most people) and a HUGE community of players, fans and level designers. You can see my levels on the N User's Map Archive here:

http://numa.notdot.net/browse?sort=crea ... thor:Sendy

I'm quite popular in the community and I'm making a map pack containing hundreds of levels. Oh, the online highscore table is amazing, too. As are the death sequences. Seriously, when I first played this game, I was laughing for months!
Watcher Kitty is always watching...
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Some of my favorite older games are Frogger, Pac-man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Q*bert. Coincidently enough, each of these games has a great remake for the original Sony Playstation (which I still have).

Another game I didn't mention earlier was Roll Away (AKA, Kula World). You move your beachball through a 3D maze avoiding various obstacles and you have to collect a certain number of keys to open the exit. Very fun and challenging! I'm sure Sendy would like it. :D
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Games that I like beside Boulder Dash and its clones.
On C64: Turrican II, Trolls and Tribulations, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Mercenary
On Amiga: Turrica II, P.P.Hammer, Monkey Island, Pinball Dreams, Pinball Fantasies, Lemmings, Rock'n'Roll
On Gameboy: Super Mario Land
On Playstation: Crash Bandicoot, Micro Machines V3
On PC: Turrican II, Doom, Doom II, Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal, all the LucasArts adventure, Simon the Sorcerer 1 + 2, Larry 1 and 6 (I don't like the other parts that much), Runaway, Beneath a Steel Sky, Dark Forces.

There is a series made by Maniac Mansion fans called Maniac Mansion Mania which in most parts are well designed, but not all of them, unfortunately.
Dark Forces is the only Star Wars game I aktually liked. There are far too much of them.
Like Boulder Dash, Doom has also a strong modding comunity.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Just found this one: Warp Forest
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/games/play/8340/
Pretty fun maze-like game with weird 4-eyed trees eventually that shoot at you... :)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Maupin

Post by Maupin »

I like all kinds of games, especially older C64 games like Boulder Dash, Wizard, Bard's Tale, Wasteland, Lode Runner, ACS, etc.

My all-time favorite genre are platform games, and I made many Ultimate Wizard levels as a kid.

My favorite platform game is the Amiga freeware game Top Hat Willy, of which I'm one of the four (?) people who have ever completed the deviously difficult game. (And I did it twice.) That link is my own site, a tribute to the game. I also like the original Jet Set Willy, but the inventiveness of Top Hat Willy won me over completely.

I got addicted to Bungie's Myth series (best online play ever), playing Carmageddon with friends over LAN in a computer lab I supervised at OSU, Red Alert 2, and Alpha Centauri.

Recently I've been playing mindless match-3 games like Jurassic Realm and an equally mindless and almost impossible Doom 2 level of my friend's house that we made in 1995 and filled with monsters. The Doomsday project is great for making those old Doom levels somewhat modern-looking.

I also like survival horror games and am waiting for a good one to appear for the next generation consoles... whichever console gets a decent survival horror game is the one I'll buy. I bought a Gamecube four years ago just for Resident Evil, but basically I prefer the PC.

Of course I play my own BD remake Natto-Cat every now and then. Sadly I wish I still had all the caves I made using BDCK back when I was a kid so I could release those.

And last but not least, I love Angband variants, especially Eyangband, and spend a lot of time playing them. Eyangband is the first game I install on each new laptop I get.
ZX Games

Post by ZX Games »

Consider it self-advertisement, if you want, but I do enjoy playing the Lode Runner remake by ZX Games: http://www.zxgames.com/en/loderunner.shtml

Classic Arcade + Up-to-Date Interface = Great Gameplay

The last version features 160 levels and includes a level editor.

Give it a try. The first 5 levels are available in the free trial version, which is quite enough to taste the game.
Best regards,
Mikhail Zhilkin
ZX Games
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

I recently found this one: Putty Puzzle
http://www.cokeandcode.com/demos/putty3 ... putty.html

Very original concept, and a great game for the puzzle fan! This is HARD!! :shocked:
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Here, this one is really fun: :D
Clik Clak
You have to connect all the red gears on each screen, but your three types of gears can only be connected in certain ways. There's more info in the intro.
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Klaxer

Post by Klaxer »

My little list:

C-64:

* Nebulus :D
* Master of Lamps
* IK+
* Pitstop II
* Lazy Jones
* Way of the Exploding Fist
* Ghostbusters
* Choplifter
* Wizard of Wor
* Knuckle Busters
* Yie Ar Kung-Fu
* Commando
* Pitfall II

Commodore +4:

* Auto Zone
* Time Sleep
* Fire Ante
* Scramble
* Major Blink

Atari 800:

* Montezuma's Revenge
* Draconus
* Zybex
* Ninja Commando
* Panther
* Dropzone
* Gyruss
* Mario Bros.

MSX:

* Metal Gear
* Firebird
* Usas
* Knightmare II: Maze of Galious
* Vampire Killer
* Onyx

NES:

* Journey to Silius
* Final Mission
* Kick Master
* Yo! Noid
* Snake Rattle 'n' Roll
* Gun Nac
* Metal Gear
* Darkwing Duck
* Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom
* Shatterhand

Sega Genesis:

* Two Crude Dudes
* Bubba 'n' Stix
* Man Overboard! S.S. Lucifer
* Pirates of the Dark Water
* Toki: Going Ape Spit
* Warlock
* Stargate
* Zombies Ate My Neighbors
* Earthworm Jim 1-2
* Comix Zone
* Cool Spot
* Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure

PC:

* Dune II
* KGB
* Lost Eden
* Fallout I-II
* Goblins II
* Command & Conquer
* Golden Axe
* Nightmare on Elm Street
* Narc
* Civilization
* Blackstone
* Full Throtle
* The Horde
* Prince of Persia

NEO-GEO:

* Metal Slug 1-3
* Samurai Shodown
* Last Resort
* Ninja Commando
* Spinmaster
* Eightman
* Burning Fight

Arcade:

* Klax :lol:
* Contra
* Psychic 5
* Snow Bros
* Double Dragon
* Crime Fighters
* Karnov
* Outzone
* Final Fight
* Toki
* Ghosts 'n Goblins
* Shinobi

PSP:

* Ultimate Ghosts 'n' Goblns
* God of War: Chains of Olympus
* Patapon

EMULATORS!

PS One:

* Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
* Kula World
* Legend of Mana
* Apocalypse
* Legend of Dragoon

PS2:

* Vietiful Joe 1-2
* God of War 1-2
* Resident Evil 4

PS3:

* Street Fighter IV
* Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
* Little Big Planet

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

RTA Dash wrote:Just found this one: Warp Forest
Funny! But how can you know which of the animals have one or two lives and whether they shoot, without "trial and error"?
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
johnomg

Post by johnomg »

I just know I will miss a few :oops:

Not being a good gamer, I didn't finish many (if any) of these, but had fun playing them :)

From the Old Days when Dinosaurs (and Commodore) ruled the Earth:
Bards Tale, California Games, Defender of the Crown, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Hillsfar, Impossible Mission, It came from the Desert, Kings Quest, Leaderboard Golf, Lesuire Suit Larry, Lemmings, Millenium 2.2, Mini Golf, Monkey Island, Moonbase, Operation Stealth, Pacman, Pitstop, Pong, Prince of Persia, Raid over Moscow, Scalextric, Short Circuit, Silent Service, Space Quest, Test Drive, Tetris, Winter Games.

There was one more I really liked but I couldn't find a name that rang a bell. It was a platform type game where you had Soldiers who had to negotiate a Level (collect ammunition, food, medical supplies and break down walls or doors), while avoiding or killing Enemy Soldiers to make it to the other side and hence the next Level.

Maaan!....It bugs me that I can't remember the name now :(

Timewarp to the Present Day:
Alchemy, Backgammon, Bejeweled, Freecell, Pinball, Spider Solitaire and of course all the Boulder Dash Fan made Games :D
Currently playing:
- Crazy Dream Dash 01
- Sendy Dash 02
Quote of the Week: I don't mind having a Bad Reputation...as long as I had fun earning it.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Dustin wrote:Funny! But how can you know which of the animals have one or two lives and whether they shoot, without "trial and error"?
Unfortunately not really, but that's part of the fun. :) (or not)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.